20 songs for the grieving heart
Music has carried me through the most intense and agonizing moments of my life. Sometimes all I wanted was silence in the early days of grief, but as time passed, I leaned into the melodies that brought back memories with my daughter, and new sounds that spoke to my tender heart.
Music gave me room to grieve, to remember, to imagine, to heal.
These songs have spoken to my heart in many different ways. Some are old, some are newer. I hope you find rest in them and let the lyrics whisper to those uncovered places in your heart.
Music is magic and it can unlock our sorrow like nothing else. Sometimes the best cure for a grief wave is letting our hearts dip deep into the sadness.
- A Case of You: k.d Lang
- Nobody’s Crying: Patty Griffin
- Fourth of July: Sufjan Stevens
- One Way: Rose Cousins
- Heavenfaced: The National
- I’ll Let You Go: Jessica Allossery
- Welcome Home: Joy Williams
- Guiding Light: Foy Vance
- I Know You By Heart: Eva Cassidy
- Heaven: Craig Cardiff
- Death With Dignity: Sufjan Stevens
- Mark’s Song: Eastmountainsouth
- Your Love Remains: The Brilliance
- You Cannot Lose my Love: Sara Groves
- Forever With You: Nathan Roberts
- How Do You Keep Love Alive: Ryan Adams & The Cardinals
- Not Alone: Patty Griffin
- Annabelle: Gillian Welch
- All Is Not Lost: The Brilliance
- Orange Sky: Alexi Murdoch
You can find the playlist on Spotify.