five minute friday: together.

October 24, 2013, Michaela Evanow, 17 Comments

This is when we write for 5 minutes flat, we write unedited, and we write with a prompt. Today’s prompt is: TOGETHER.

He gave me a card, on our anniversary. I didn’t buy one for him, not yet, and my perfectionist, on time personality was crushed. But he didn’t mind. He gave me the card anyway, and I cracked the licked seal, opened it wide to receive. His words are always rich, honeycomb gold.

We were sitting on a bed, not our bed, a bed that hundreds of other parents or family members have shared over the years. The room was drafty, the top of a heritage house, a mansion really. It’s a children’s hospice, and we were staying there a few nights of respite. We were there to rest, to recuperate, to spend our anniversary. Our daughter Florence, downstairs in the loving hands of the nurses. Five years ago we were married, young, sweet greenhorns on a new journey.

The path has shifted over time, turned left and right, down into the wheat fields, where the harvest was plenty. And then we found ourselves at the foot of a hill, a mountain, where it’s damp and cool and lonely. Nothing seems to grow here. And yet we started climbing, together, we clamped our hands tight around our hearts, even tighter still when we reached those rocky crevices. And we’re still not there, not over the mountain, but we’re climbing it together, determined to summit, too see the sun rise.

He wrote in that card, “A threefold cord is not quickly broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:12.

I love you, like always, like never before.

I loved him then, like I loved him at first. These words are what broke into the deep love in my heart, expanded it: we are together, and together we are stronger.

He sees these same struggles with me, watches them come, and yet carries me when I am weak. He weeps with me, yet is always there to whisper in my damp hair. And often, he’s the one that makes my laughter rise, loud and real.

Three cords, me and him and Jesus, me and him and Florence, three of us, together.

We will soar, and we will summit, we will see redemption cloak our sweat laden backs, cover us on our knees.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

• Reply Jean Marie October 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

That was so beautiful! And just how a marriage should look. Wow. Just lovely!

• Reply Shannon October 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

You have a certain knack for making tears well up in my eyes… beautifully written dear friend.

• Reply Michaela. October 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

🙂 I like making you cry, tender hearted one!

• Reply Mia October 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Dear Michaela
    What a beautiful declaration of love! I think when your husband reads this, he will feel so honored. Yes, dear one, a three-cord-marriage will withstand all the storms and gale force winds that will try to destroy your little boat of love. And once you reach the summit of this mountain you will soar together on the wings of Jesus’ Spirit of Love.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

• Reply Michaela. October 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Thanks Mia for such a beautifully written comment. I can only say our marriage has reached such rich depths in the midst of this.

• Reply RambleSAHM (@RambleSAHM) October 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM

This is beautiful! You write so well and I love your stores their are like snapshots into your world.

• Reply Michaela. October 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Oh thank you friend, that’s so kind.

• Reply Nelia October 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Each word written holds such volumes of wisdom and love. There is such beauty in your story. Are you at Canuck Place now? We are headed there today for play therapy for the kids…if you are there it would be lovely to meet 🙂

• Reply Michaela. October 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Oh I wish! We aren’t until the beginning of November. That sounds like a wonderful idea though!

• Reply Paula October 25, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Oh, wow. So beautiful!

• Reply Heather McCool October 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Goodness that was beautiful. Makes me want to own the three cords verse more than i ever have.

• Reply Michaela. October 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM

hi heather, thank you dear one. now where is your FMF write up? Looking forward to it!

• Reply Whitney C October 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Praying for you, Michaela. Your strength and faith are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Flo is precious. Happy Anniversary!! I’m glad you guys were able to get out and enjoy the ballet. {{hugs}}.

• Reply Michaela. October 24, 2013 at 8:26 PM

hiya Whitney, thanks for your prayers. and thank you for reading and being a part of our story. 🙂

• Reply Johanna Claire October 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

<3 You inspire me. I enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work.

• Reply Michaela. October 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Johanna, thank you for writing and for you sweet words. xo