then there were glasses: and it’s okay.

September 23, 2013, Michaela Evanow, 16 Comments

eye glasses for children

“Are those props?” a 30-something hipster asked me while we were in line at the grocery store.

“Nope, they’re not props. She needs them…”

Does this guy know anything about kids? Why would I willingly put something on her face that she hates?

“Well, that’s really cool.”

I smile back at him, and wonder if he notices the feed pump hanging in her little black backpack, or the fact that her legs are sticking out of the baby bassinet, or that she’s not moving. But he doesn’t. Mercy.

20130923-202734.jpg

It’s funny. I never thought my child would need glasses, although Jay has had corrective eye surgery, and I have a prescription for glasses, but no glasses….

I need to get on that.

bendy eye glasses for babies

We were at the specialist—the ophthalmologist, not to be confused with an optometrist (insert stuffy British accent here). She was a busy woman, with glasses herself. We waited two hours to get a simple prescription for glasses. I didn’t know that’s why we were there. Florence sometimes has a wandering eye, and it usually happens when she’s tired. After a few minutes, the doctor had her “figured out” and said she was slightly nearsighted, and that hopefully the glasses would correct her eye. And I barely shrugged, as I walked out of the hot, stuffy office, shooed down to the reception desk, to book another appointment for a few months.

The doctor’s assistant looked at me, and said “Oh I know, it’s a lot to take in, so yes, Florence will need glasses…”

“Okay.” I said.

What are glasses in the grand scheme of things? Absolutely nothing. I wonder if Florence was “healthy” if I would have been upset by this…the fact that my 18 month old needs to wear glasses on top of everything else. Will I miss her eyes? My armour was so thin before this.

special needs eye glasses

And so, we have fun with it. I picked the “cutest” glasses you can get (in my opinion) for toddlers in less than ten minutes. There are not many to choose from, let me tell you.  And Florence was having a tantrum (which she seems to enjoy doing these days), so she was getting all bubbly and red in the face, and I didn’t care that the woman helping us at the optometrist called her a “baby.” I didn’t care that I had to suction her and pull up Elmo on YouTube to calm her down. My child can’t really afford to have tantrums, so we try to stop them as soon as possible.

The glasses are bendy and soft and already a nuisance. But I can tell they make a difference for her. So now we have glasses added to the list, and it’s okay.

It’s okay, because His grace is sufficient, it is more than enough to cover us. It is like those thick, wooly socks I’m pulling onto my bare feet, as the fall weather rolls in through our single pane windows. His grace translates to hope, and hope comes in waves of endurance, and endurance builds strength in my bones, and strength satiates my hunger for breakthrough during the long, stormy nights.

20130923-202750.jpg

I fall in love with her, more and more everyday.

• Reply Marilee Congo September 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I agree…I think she looks adorable! And you sweet young mom are too!

• Reply Deanna September 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I think they look amazing on her. I just showed my two daughters 15, 5 and they loved them too. I wouldn’t have thought anything about what that man said. He probably thought she was super adorable, and hella fashionable for toddler. Regardless men don’t usually say things to random people with children, you’re daughter stuck out for being so cute! Asking if they were a prop is just his awkward way of saying “Hello, cute kid” He wouldn’t have noticed anything else, not many people do. We’re all in our bubbles. I think it’s unorthodox if anyone speaks to a stranger these days. I hope she enjoys them, and I love your photo’s you captured. They look magazine cover worthy!

• Reply Michaela. September 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Oh thanks Deana! That’s so sweet of you. Yes, it’s true, people are in their own bubbles often…which is a merciful thing sometimes. It’s usually the little old Chinese women that peer in with that knowing (if not annoying) look…prying just a bit too much. I actually liked the guys comment. It was our first outing in awhile and with glasses to boot. 🙂 thanks for commenting!

• Reply Maripat Rawson September 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM

She is pretty darn cute in those funky glasses. Bless you.

• Reply tamaraelda September 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM

She looks amazing in her glasses. I wish my first pair of glasses looked that great.

• Reply Michaela. September 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Me too! Aren’t they fun?

• Reply Lisa September 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I always show Flo’s pictures and videos to my baby, Allison. She loves seeing her. When I showed her the pictures with her glasses she smiled. I’d send a picture of her smiling at Flo’s picture if I knew how. 🙂 God is good. We are praying for you.

• Reply Michaela. September 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Aww, thanks so much Lisa! It seems there are a great deal of children in love with Florence. That’s so wonderful. And really important too, because all these kids are praying too 🙂 Powerful stuff! You can always post a pic to our Facebook page?

• Reply RambleSAHM (@RambleSAHM) September 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Adorable! Children’s glasses have improved so much from when I was a kid.

• Reply Michaela. September 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Totally! Although there were some pretty ugly ones at the optometrist. I had to beg her for brown frames 😉

• Reply Renée September 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM

They look very cute on her!

• Reply Michaela. September 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Thank you! We didn’t even try them on her in this color or size. Just went with it!

• Reply Nanny September 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I love the twinkle in her eyes – it’s almost as though she is saying “OK, I gotcha’ with my tantrum, and now I’ll dazzle you with my winsome personality!” Looks to me like that “newborn” outfit I sent you might just fit her now 🙂 Your choice of frames is yup – bedazzling on those personality filled eyes. good job mama!

• Reply Michaela. September 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Yes, it seems the twinkle in her eyes are magnified now 🙂

• Reply child of God September 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Great choice of glasses! They do look great on Florence. 🙂

We are going through the book of James. This morning, after a very difficult evening and rough start to the morning, Father reminded me of James 1:2 “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.” When I am not going through difficulties, this verse is easy for me to say no problem! But during the hard times I see this verse in a different light. Joy is not found in the trial but in the end result of where the trial is leading…a closer relationship with Father and a total dependence on Him to meet and supply not what I need but what He wants to accomplish.

Praying and praying for you and Florence.

• Reply Michaela. September 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM