5 minute Friday: on She.

September 20, 2013, Michaela Evanow, 17 Comments

Time to write for five, unedited minutes. Purely from the heart, fast off the keyboard words that come to mind when you hear one word.

The word today is: SHE.

I know so many. I have a community of them, surrounding me with their stories and songs and passions. They ignite the fibres of my heart that I didn’t know existed, but that catch aflame easily, for they are ready, dry.

She catches babies in the dark, works long hours, and comes home to tend to her garden, to paint, to kiss her husband on the lips. She brings life into the world, fights for it, makes a living for her family doing it.

She runs for hope, she runs until she cries and sweats and puts her hands on her knees, bent over, breathing deep, breathing deeper. She runs for a cure, for a cause, heart pounding wildly in surrender, but longing for breakthrough.

She struggles through the grief of losing her child, born still into this world, never having the chance to hold her baby with breath in his lungs and color in his cheeks.

She is laughter and light, a mother of many. She teaches them, sings to them, bakes bread with them. She picks the kale from her garden, dries plums from her tree, bathes a nation before her head hits the pillow at night.

She leaves her warm bed at night, leaves her sleeping children, and watches the child of someone else crown, captures their first wince as newborn skin hits air. She takes their photos, she makes art of this handiwork, meets the newest members of this city before we’ve had our morning coffees.

She sings when no one is looking, although the pain in her body is wicked, is tormenting, she longs for a cure, but she never curses the God who made her. She loves her husband, she presses on, her soul awakened to an everlasting love, to a love that never fails.

She feeds her babies, breastfeeds with dignity and grace, unflinching when someone glares her way. She nurtures her babies the way she wants to, she carries them against her chest, sweat trickling down her back from carrying the extra weight of a child.

She doesn’t give up, she keeps pushing through the silence, pushes love into the home that doesn’t feel like a home, doesn’t look the way she thought it would be. She serves and she carries and she loves.

She is mighty and she is fierce, and she keeps pressing on in faith, although she’s already lost a child to this disease. But she doesn’t give up hope. She is made to be a mama, and her bones are filled with courage. For her, this motherhood journey is hard, it is hard. But the God in her is strong, so she opens her arms wide and receives, calls forth the wild, unrelenting love of the King and walks in peace.

She waits in hope for the promises. She keeps her head held high.

She inspires.

She stood in the storm...

• Reply sarahjoknits September 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Oh my gosh… I needed that! Beautifully written! <3

• Reply bluecottonmemory September 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Beautiful, Michaela – beautiful, whole, real – a grace-filled chronicle of the daily and the struggle and love in the daily.

• Reply Anita September 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM

SHE. My beautiful daughter who fights Leukemia. SHE. Myself, who battles stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. TWO SHE’S IN WAR. Happy together. TWO SHE’S. We walk together beautifully. TWO SHE’S. We coose happiness because we CAN. THANK YOU FATHER. Thank you Michaela. XOXO

• Reply Michaela. September 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Wow. This is quite the story and testimony. You are a true warrior. Thank you for choosing happiness, for choosing the bless His name. You are mighty! Will be praying for you this eve.

• Reply Jolie Lambkin September 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

HELLO!!!!! awesome socks Michaela…..thanks for moving me beyond my own small world. I’m learning to value other women before we even talk. I’m amazed by the strength and creativity pouring out of “ordinary” ladies.
    Also, Flo’s hair is so absolutely sweet. The curls just melt me up. Hugs to her and you today.

• Reply Michaela. September 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Hi Jolie! Her curls are amazing, and I can’t stop stroking them. They are so silky!

• Reply rockinmom September 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Great post Michaela! 🙂 Love your writing.

• Reply Sue September 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Michaela, the other night I was on the phone with one of my sons for over an hour. I still marvel that God allowed me to mother these precious young men. As Kihlal Gibran writes in Siddartha- children are on loan to us but they are not our possessions. I read that long before I had kids and never forgot those words.
    Another beautiful entry that made my Friday- love to you all xo
    Sue

• Reply Michaela. September 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

hello Sue, thanks for sharing that part of your life with me. I LOVE hearing these things 🙂

• Reply Cristina September 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Wow..Yes!

• Reply Kali September 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I know so many she’s like her…I love them too…

• Reply Michaela. September 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I think you are one of those she’s…;)

• Reply Kali September 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

as are you… I think she is who we are, and not just what we do…what makes us fully alive…

• Reply Rebecca September 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Loved your writing. “She is mighty and she is fierce, and she keeps pressing on in faith” This was so beautiful! Glad I stopped by!

• Reply Michaela. September 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I’m glad you stopped by too Rebecca. Thanks so much.

• Reply Sheri Dacon September 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Beautiful writing, Michaela. Love your stories of inspiring women in your life. I hopped over here from Five Minute Friday. So glad to find your blog!

• Reply Michaela. September 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Hi Sheri, thank you for your words and for visiting!