5 minute Friday: on worship.

August 30, 2013, Michaela Evanow, 23 Comments

So I’ve finally done it, caved in and joined an online writing mob. We write for 5 minutes only, no editing, going back and erasing, just five minutes of pure thought, of linked words. If you write online, won’t you join me? Link back to me and share. It’s so good for you 🙂

I’m trying to teach myself to write more, and often. My last post was written on my iPhone in the car in 10 minutes (while Jay was driving obviously—car texting kills people), and I got a little dizzy but mostly happy that I’m learning to contain my thoughts into quick posts, perfectionism aside.

5 minute Friday is Lisa-Jo Baker’s answer to this, this writers block or not enough time to write today or laziness. It’s good. So here goes.

The topic this week: WORSHIP.

Coffee cup is nearly empty, pyjamas are wrinkled, rain is pounding outside and the house feels damp like its fall already. I think about worship, and in this moment, it’s just my life, it’s just Florence laying on the couch, babbling and wiggling her toes, and it’s just me, freshly awake, bed unmade. Worship, in the midst of this..
How often I make myself turn it all off, while she naps and the house is quiet. I must sit at His feet like this, like that. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it’s too much pressure and my eyes peel open and I sigh. I am not in the mood. How can I not be in the mood for worship?

And then it comes to me in truth, I worship all day sometimes. It looks like: an offering, a sacrifice of praise. When I go through the motions, when I stay inside all day long, under house arrest with a sick baby, not able to go anywhere, do anything, not in this season, not just yet. But I worship, in love and with thanksgiving, I pour out my euachristeo. I am thankful for this child, that I can serve her. My heart is always full when I go through all the steps of her care. I was made for this, this is motherhood too, and on tired days, this is my worship because my heart is in it, my heart is serving Him. This is meaningful and this is lighting candles and this is hands raised in the air and this is thanksgiving.

On tired days, this is my worship, and because of grace, He accepts it with in love and laughter. Because He is a good King, and how can I not pour it out in the midst.

IMG_3662

IMG_3874

• Reply Bev. Nash ( Grandma) September 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Wow, so good! When our hearts are tuned in to Him, it’s all worship. I am starting to see that it is all about the way we live our life, our heart before Him……trust. Love the pictures and the writer….

• Reply Cathy Vanderkooy August 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Reading your piece and then the comments of others has been an unexpected serendipity on this Saturday morning. It’s an invitation to worship which I will do shortly when I hop in the pool for a mile of laps! From an ‘on the go’ writer, drawn to the 5 minute club. Will have to reflect on this as I swim.

• Reply Michaela. September 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

thanks for stopping by and sharing Cathy. love it!

• Reply Teva August 31, 2013 at 4:45 AM

I have been reading your updates for a while and praying. I was in YWAM with Dayna and found your link through her. I just wanted to share that while God puts you all on my hearts sometimes I get the most beautiful pictures the first was of Florence’s lungs turning into butterfly wings and delicately beating away unencumbered by sickness the second and most recent was of the two of you dancing wildly in worship to The Lord. I know this isn’t a reality yet but it looked so true in my mind. My little Simone (3) has started to pray for baby Florence at night now even when I forget. May God be ever so tangibly near today and fill you to the brim with inexplicable joy.

• Reply Michaela. August 31, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Well Teva, you hit the nail right on the head. Butterflies are Florence’s symbol from Jesus. They are very special to us, so seeing her lungs turn into wings? Spectacular. And I love to dance, have since I was a little girl. Flo and I often dance in the kitchen in her standing frame. That’s our worship place. This was such a big encouragement to me this morning. Thank you so much for sharing and reading and for teaching your sweet Simone to pray. What a blessing.

• Reply Renée August 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I am impressed with your five minutes of writing, actually with your writing period. I just finished reading Ann Voskamp’s “One Thousand Gifts” not too long ago. There were a few times that you came to mind while I was reading it (I am not sure if it is your writing or situation or both). But just now in your writing, I noticed you used the word euachristeo and wondered if you have read it too?

• Reply Michaela. August 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Hello Renée,
      Thank you for your very kind compliments and for following. I’ve read almost half of Ann’s 1,000 gifts. That’s quite the compliment. I don’t think my style is quite like hers, but maybe similar. I’ve been writing this way for…ever. I so appreciate her imagery though and mish mash of sentence structure. Fascinating.

• Reply Cindi ~ Letting the Words Escape August 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM

so beautiful. both of you.

• Reply krystalthwaites August 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM

We live in the city, and probably know some of the same people. Victoria is like that. I have come across your blog and have started to follow it. Your words are so passionate and expressive, through it all. I love your photos of you and Flo. It is all over her eyes how much she loves and adores you. It is all over you how much you adore her. These pictures speak that again. I usually am near tears when I read of your praise and worship to our loving Father. Your faithfulness has been an encouragement to me. Thank you, and bless you and your family. I am so glad you blog!

• Reply Michaela. August 30, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Oh wow…so kind. Your words are so appreciated Krystal, thank you. It’s so lovely to hear. I don’t live in Vic, but close. Victoria is so wonderful though. Thank you for following and taking time to comment!

• Reply Michelle (Evanow) Kalous August 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Evanow is not a common name. I wonder if we are related?

• Reply Michaela. August 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Your right, it’s not! I married into it though!

• Reply Sue August 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Oh Michaela, that was awesome!! And SO TRUE.
    I love your writing no matter how short or long, you are gifted in so many ways.
    Hugs and love,
    Sue

• Reply Michaela. August 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Hi Sue,
      Wow thank you for that! And thanks for taking the time to comment 🙂

• Reply Janet Abele August 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I am honored to worship and praise God for our children, your sweet baby girl, a true blessing. I pray daily and I am happy to join worship 5 min friday. Peace be with you all.

• Reply Michaela. August 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Hello Janet, thanks for your prayers as for stopping by. Blessings.

• Reply RambleSAHM (@RambleSAHM) August 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM

That was so good! I love this and I think I may try and join in too.

• Reply Michaela. August 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Definitely! It’s so fun and really takes no time at all. Kind of nice to have the topics picked for you each week. Let me know if you do!

• Reply Nanny August 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Mic honey, you make my heart sing with praise for He created each and every one of us to love on each other, and you do that so well!

• Reply Michaela. August 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Thanks Nanny Lou! You are so kind with your words.

• Reply Joy A August 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Welcome to the Five Minute Friday party! It’s a great way to write and we’re glad you are here.
    It’s wonderful that we an worship every where and any time. Keep on being a role model of worship for your precious little girl.

• Reply Michaela. August 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Thanks for the welcome Joy! It is a great way to write!