baby hammocks and tiny hands.

January 21, 2013, Michaela Evanow, 8 Comments

A friend of mine recently lent us her Kanoe baby hammock to try out. I have to say I was a bit skeptical at first, because it seemed like it might be unsafe, but once I put Florence down, I saw how secure it was, how it snuggled her tightly, but didn’t suffocate. If she moved around a lot, I wouldn’t be worried about her rolling over…because it’s imposible. It’s excellent for neuromuscular development, teaching cause and effect, plus there are some great reviews from parents with kids that have reflux, different needs, terrible sleepers, or just your average newborn. The hammock does hold up to 80lbs, or a two year old. We are getting ready to purchase one ourselves from the website, www.kanoe.us

Once we have another baby, it will fit nicely in the room, compared to another bulky crib. That’s a thought that’s somewhat escaped us! What if our second is a boy?! Obviously we’ve gone for neutral colors for the nursery, but for Florence we designed the walls to be more feminine, perhaps we’ll have to soon look at various nursery wall decals to suit a boy, that we could install on the other side of the room, should we have a little boy next, that is!

photo

She loves to play in it because it brings her hands together, so toys fit nicely and are easy to grasp. Plus there is a beautiful wooden bar that you can hang a toy from. It rocks, it’s organic, it’s very well made, it keeps baby off of pressure points, it screws into the ceiling, or you can purchase a King Klamp for the Kanoe (what’s with the K’s?!) from the makers of Merry Muscles, which is what I like. This allows the hammock to travel, and not make messy holes in the ceiling (although this is what we will do in the nursery). You can also explore the option of getting a stand (see the website).

Flo’s first nap was excellent. She didn’t nurse to sleep, she didn’t fuss, but rather cooed for three minutes, and promptly fell asleep. And she’s in the kitchen currently, where there is a lot of light and noise. I can hear her snoring away…

It does take some adjusting, and I have to say she’s not always happy in it. It’s not a miracle bed, but it does do a pretty fine job of keeping her calm and comfortable.

Tomorrow we head off to the neurologist, nurse and occupational therapist again. I’m trying not to worry about Florence’s weight, but I have this sneaking suspicion that the neurologist will be nagging us a bit about it. She hasn’t gained anything since our last visit, but did lose some. I believe she’s gained it back, but I’m not entirely sure.

We will see the occupational therapist to get Florence fitted for some teeny tiny hand braces, to turn her hands outwards, instead of in. I can’t imagine how small they will be. Her hands and feet have not grown much since birth, except a bit in length. She is a real living doll!

IMG_2756

We are also on the wait list for occupational therapy at home, to see how we can help Florence with feeding herself, grasping food, and all that jazz. I’m not sure how long the wait list is, but I’m sad there is one. We are blessed to have a physical therapist we can see once a week. We have just started taking her to the pool with the PT, although it’s full of very nosey Chinese ladies who can’t seem to understand why Florence isn’t moving much. There were one too many questions for this mama! Society has a way of isolating people.

In any case, we are moving along, desperate for this cold and flu season to be over. I’m in a season of struggling right now. I’m learning/trying to master my fear, however painful and terrifying it may be.

I don’t want to lose her, but I have to let her go. I cannot be consumed by fear.

Deep breaths, long walks, waiting for the fog to clear.

• Reply Erin August 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Hi! Just wondered how you use the kling klamp? I just bought a Kanoe and am trying to figure out how to make it portable. It seems like the hammock is too wide to fit in doorways. Thanks!

• Reply Michaela. August 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM

You have to have the right kind of doorway to use the King Klamp, otherwise it wont work! Older houses are best for this. You may need to buy a stand.

• Reply Erica January 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Thanks for sharing your story and the hammock. I was looking at getting one for our 3 year old son. He’s more like a newborn physically and a 5 month old mentally. But I’m not sure if he’s not too big for it. He just broke his collarbone in his crib during a seizure and I just feel the crib is not safe for him anymore. I know how it’s like during cold season. We are on lockdown. One thing that’s helped is a cough assist vest. It’s a godsend.

• Reply Michaela. January 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Erica, I would totally recommend the hammock for your son then. It’s pretty wonderful and the price point is reasonable, considering all the other equipment prices. Your bubby sounds like a gem. Love to you!

• Reply Erica January 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Thanks! It’s been quite a roller coaster with our son. He cries a lot so that’s very stressful. Imagine a kid stuck in colic stage 🙂 I agree on equipment prices. Insane. That cough assist vest I told you about insurance denied it but it costs 16,000 dollars. We qualified for it to be a loan though for good from the company which was quite the blessing. Hugs to you!! If you ever need any ideas for OT/PT/ communication I’ve seen a ton. Feel free to ask 🙂

• Reply Maripat January 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Hi there, cutie … So appreciate the posts you send along. Thank you.
    You bring me to a thought from my teen years with my mom. After school I’d meet my mother downtown Minneapolis for a few hours of shopping. She got her hair and nails done and I used her credit card. We would agree to meet at a hole-in-the-wall Donut Shop for coffee and what else, donuts. Her hair all coiffed in the ‘blue’ of the fifties and me dragging bags of neat clothing from the day. The shop of very long and equally narrow. The ceilings were way up there tall. But on the back cement wall, bigger than life was a painting in brightest yellow, greenest green and purple, blue and silver. It was a painting of a dancing court jester with bells on his hat and curly toed slippers. Along side the olde english clown was written a silly poem. It has stayed with me for years and years … I call upon its wisdom frequently for myself and others. Now it’s your turn to absorb its true life value. Ready? Anticipation high?

AS YOU RAMBLE ON THROUGH LIFE SISTER,
    WHATEVER BE YOUR GOAL
    KEEP YOUR EYE UPON THE DONUT
    AND NOT UPON THE HOLE.

It seem you’re doing an excellent job of that with little Missy over there that has captured all of our hearts. The dancing foolish man had some wisdom to impart it seems … isn’t it the way?

I send my love to you in Canada all the way from Minnesota and should you ever decide that the Mayo should be a hospital to explore here in the states, well I’d be blessed to be a part of that. We live about ninety minutes or so … not so very far.

You’re doing a fine job.

PS…can’t say I was ever big on blue hair.

• Reply Gerg's January 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Nope. You’re not going to lose her, Michaela.

• Reply Nanny January 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM

It’s very difficult at times to ‘speak’ life. It is only because of His Grace that we survive internally some of the time. A little child’s verse comes to me. I only knew the first verse but I see it’s a whole song written many decades ago. I wonder what inspired it? It holds a time honoured message dearest. If you know it, sing out.:Jesus bids us shine
    With a pure, clear light,
    Like a little candle
    Burning in the night.
    In this world of darkness
    So let us shine—
    You in your small corner,
    And I in mine.

Jesus bids us shine,
    First of all for Him;
    Well He sees and knows it,
    If our light grows dim.
    He looks down from Heaven
    To see us shine—
    You in your small corner,
    And I in mine.

Jesus bids us shine,
    Then, for all around;
    Many kinds of darkness
    In the world are found—
    Sin and want and sorrow;
    So we must shine—
    You in your small corner,
    And I in mine.
    And so I continue to pray as do you, you in your small corner, and I in mine! Lovingly Nanny