time for sharing: my favorite (modern) lullabies.
I’ve discovered one of my favourite things is rocking Florence to sleep with a modern day lullaby. She loves noise, whether it’s crowds of people, the sounds of Sunday morning at church or music. The other night after she fed, I held her sleepy body in my arms and played ‘Red Rover’ by Rosie Thomas. Suddenly the tears started to fall, as I felt the gentle weight of her body and heard her sweet intake of breath. She was with her mama, safe and secure enough to fall into a deep slumber, eyes firmly shut, mouth hanging open, arms resting above her head. It is those moments that make motherhood truly magical.
So here’s my list of favourite ‘lullabies’ for baby Florence and I. Hope you enjoy them with or without a little one!
- Red Rover: Rosie Thomas (Only With Laughter Can You Win) See below for music video.
- Beth/Rest: Bon Iver (Bon Iver) This song has some strong memories attached to it. It’s what we used for our gender reveal video. I always crank it and stare down at Florence in wonder. We made that video ages ago, and we were bewildered. We were having a girl, a real, honest to goodness girl child was growing inside me? Sweet memories, indeed.
- A Mother’s Eyes: Sheree Plett (Hello Night) Sheree is a wonderful mama and artist, who sang at our wedding. This song is simply beautiful.
- Annabelle: Gillian Welch (Revival) What a beauty. I love this dusty, twangy song so much.
- Weird Fishes/Arpeggi: Matt Haimovitz & Christopher O’Reilly (Shuffle. Play. Listen) Hauntingly beautiful. I first heard this on CBC Radio 1 and purchased it right away. The rest of the album is also pretty spectacular.
- Time Goes Away: Rosie Thomas (If Songs Could Be Held)
- Fireflies and Songs: Sara Groves (Fireflies and Songs)
- The Homeless and the Hummingbirds: Alaska in Winter (Dance Party in the Balkans) This is mama’s weird eccentric indie pop song of choice. What can I say?
- Chase the Dawn: Chloe Leavers (All These Things)
- Trapeze: Patty Griffin (Children Running Through) Emmylou and Patty? What more can you want?
- Song for Viola: Peter Bradley Adams (Leavetaking)
- Scattered Black and Whites: Elbow (Asleep in the Back Seat) I never tire of this song even though it’s from 2002.
- Morning Yearning: Ben Harper (Both Sides of the Gun) How can you not…
- Coat of Many Colors: Emmylou Harris (Pieces of the Sky) This is my favourite fall and winter lullaby (let’s be honest, lullabies aren’t just for babies).
- Forever Young: Joan Baez (Greatest Hits) I listened to this song, probably every day I was pregnant and cried my eyes out every time.