indian memories: finishing it with a bang.

February 27, 2012, Michaela Evanow, 2 Comments

I thought this was fitting, seeing that this pregnancy will be wrapping up shortly (hopefully without a bang). This is an old post from years ago, when I was in India. It was nearing the end of my six months, and things were wrapping up in classic Indian fashion: lots of chaos and laughter. After re-reading this post I laughed myself silly. There were so many hilarious moments, amidst the sorrow and baby catching.

“On Tuesday I went to Darwal, for a health camp with the head Madams of the hospital. It was quite the honour to be on the bus with the hospital Superintendent and many other amazing women.  

Darwal is 5 hours by bus outside of Hyderabad. If you don’t know my bus story from a previous experience in India, then I’ll tell you. Ahem, bus on fire, blue smoke, bad brakes, cliffs…you get the idea. Needless to say I was a little worried what the bus ride would be like. But it was wonderfully bumpy and exciting to see the STARS! How beautiful they are! I haven’t seen them for quite some time. Shannon and I sat for hours staring out into the inky sky, listening to music, one headphone for each of us. Knowing us, we also had a dance party in the back of the bus like little girls. We danced in our seats like pros and laughed and laughed. It was lovely. I actually haven’t seen her as much as you might think. That was one of our few hang out times. I think I can count them on one hand. 

We stopped for jasmine flowers to tie into our hair, and the rest of my trip was filled with the gorgeous scent of crushed jasmine. We ate snacks and told stories and rubbed our jarred necks. The bus sounded like it might fall apart. We made it Darwal, which is a little town, nothing special, but nicer than Hyderabad. More trees and flowers! The night was still young (according to Indians) so we ate dinner at 11:00PM at one of the doctor’s childhood home. However as we were eating, the outside area became surrounded by monkeys. We weren’t too keen on them, as they zeroed in on us and our food. One of them growled and I almost wet my pants. So, ever so quietly the little man servant of the house went up the steps, lit something and walked away. I cocked my head to the side wondering why he was lighting a match and throwing it. A few seconds later a deafening, heart stopping BOOM, BANG went off. I nearly collapsed from terror. Then everything was quiet.


“Hm, my ears are ringing too.”


“Shhh, it’ll be ok,” said Becca nervously as she looked at our hosts.

They were laughing.

Needless to say the monkeys dispersed faster than you can say, well, anything. We laughed ourselves to sleep in our funny little hostel, called the “Inspection Bangalow”, recalling the terror we felt when the explosion went off. The next day we drove to the town hospital.
The clinic was crazy busy and I spent my time registering women for the Gynaecological check up. Some of the women looked like they were 90, but their cards said 50. FIFTY! I wrote for the doctors and called out names and multitasked like I never have before! I thought I was going to explode the whole time. Indians have no problem scolding either.

“Michaela! What is the name! Who is next? Girls, WHAT are you doing?” said the doctor.

“Uhh…was that scan normal? Um, Manjula! She’s next.” I replied. I turned to the next patient, “Can I have your card? Ap kya naam kya hey? Pratibah?” 

“NEXT!? Michaela! Michaelaaaa!” she liked to whine.

“Pratibah! Pratibah is next!”

I finally got the hang out if, and I was way ready before the doctor was, let me tell you. She smirked and I smirked and then we laughed. I will not be outdone!

That night we drove home after a long clinic day. The picture below was taken before we left, trying to get some rest. 

Well wouldn’t you know, the bus got a flat tire. I was sick and had already thrown up a few hours before. So I sat like a stone hoping the nausea would pass. It didn’t. The ride was so bumpy. Normally I never suffer from motion sickness, but the combination of Delhi belly and the overwhelming ups and downs on the dirt road reeked havoc on my stomach. The bus wouldn’t be fixed for hours, so we crammed into an ambulance from the hospital and made the twenty minute trip back into the city. What an adventure. It didn’t faze me. But I was still sick and I spent the evening flushing my food down the toilet.

In the end, it was a great trip.

And, guess what? It actually is the end. My time here ended with a bang. Literally. I delivered four babies on my night shift (the pictures are terrible, I look like I was run over. See below).

And the next day, a bomb went off in a mosque five minutes from the hospital. A Muslim planted a bomb in a mosque hoping to frame the Hindus for a terrorist attack. The city is in chaos right now, but I’m hoping things will simmer down by the time we leave. About fourteen people were killed and the city was shut down.

I am tired. Too tired for sleep. I’m exhausted and worn down but incredibly thankful and content.

This is it. The End.”


  • Reply Up In La La Land February 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM

    Brilliant! I was in India a few years back, good thing you got an explosion I got a monkey bite for my sins 🙁 Sounds like you had an amazing time though xox

  • Reply Shannon February 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM

    Oh. My. Goodness. I’m so glad you wrote these things down! I laughed so hard remembering that explosion to scare the monkeys.. I thought we died, then I thought I was gonna be deaf forever…. oh Lord.
    Love you sisterheart!

  • Leave a Reply